Wednesday, December 06, 2006

It's My Party...

My actual birthday was very nice but pretty uneventful. Alas, work is a little too busy for a couple of days that I can show up drunk or hungover. A few moments:
  • Insisted on buying myself Starburst Gummy Fruits on the way into work for breakfast, because it was my birthday and I could do what I wanted. Started to feel sick mid-morning, and looked down to realise I had eaten the entire bag in about 20 minutes.
  • Recovered from my self-inflicted nausea long enough to head to lunch with the A-list from work.
  • Stupidly chose the place that everyone from work goes, meaning every 5 minutes someone we didn’t invite would walk by and wonder why we they’d been left off the invite list. This is how I end up as part of the “Mean Girls” crew in every office I work in. On Wednesdays we wear pink!
  • When being hounded about something work-related on a conference call in the afternoon, I actually said “Hey hey, it’s my birthday, you have to be nice to me”, and it totally worked and shut them up. I still haven’t done what I was supposed to do.
  • Left the office as quickly as possible after 5pm so I could get to drinks at Darling Harbour. Was mean to everyone because it was my birthday and I knew they’d have to put up with it, and I’m clearly 6 years old.

After all that, the answer to the usual question is NO, I do not feel older, although it is weird to think that I am officially in my “late-twenties”. I’m still hoping my eyesight will hold out long enough that I can wait until 30 to get the glasses I clearly need desperately, but as I said last night, it’s not really a problem until I start having trouble seeing myself in reflective surfaces.

Hang in there for some real drunken excitement. This week includes an open bar after work tomorrow, our work holiday lunch and pub crawl on Friday afternoon, and birthday drinking starting at 3pm on Saturday. Surely at least one of those can land someone in either the hospital or the local jail.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is the most shameless flaunting of the birthday excuse i've ever heard of from anyone over the age of 17. too bad they didn't have "my super sweet sixteen" when you were that age. would've been a treat.

miznyc said...

I'm impressed you actually went to work on your birthday. I never do. Ok. I did once last year because I totally forgot to ask for it off and by the time I remembered it was too late. I chalk that up to getting old. But other than that, it has never happened. Just a little present from me to...me.

Zander said...

Oh god, I would never skip work on my birthday. Between all the attention, free lunches, and the perfect excuse to do even more nothing than I already do, how could I not be there??

And on a practical note, taking random little days off during the year cuts into time I can be off taking fabulous and exotic holidays that sound a lot more imrepssive than sitting on my couch watching music videos, which is probably the lame ass way I would spend a day off if I wasn't going anywhere. Sad, I realise.

miznyc said...

Seeing as my birthday is in between Christmas and New Years, growing up I never had to go to school so I got used to having my birthday off. I figure, why stop now that I'm an "adult."

oh Lord. you spelled realize with an "s." The transformation is complete.

Zander said...

Crap. Sorry about that. You're not the first person to call me out on that. I do it without thinking now.

If it makes everyone feel any better, I at least don't refer to the letter 'Z' as "zed". That just KILLS me.

emla said...

Actually, you did. There's the "ANZ" bank branch down there and you said, "Well, we could go to the A-N-ZED ATM."

Pip-pip-cherri-di-mop.

Zander said...

Okay that's different, it's the NAME of the institution. I don't say "zed" in casual conversation.