Friday, October 13, 2006

Old Age Is Setting In

When I was young, I was the kid who could see the school bus coming from a mile away. When no one else could read the street sign, I would proudly announce what it was well before anyone else had a clue. I had better than 20/20 vision. Those were the days.

Those days are long gone.

I've noticed my eyesight deteriorating for a couple of years now -- the obvious consequence of sitting in front of a computer monitor for more than a few hours a day. However I had hoped I had a few more years before the damage was so bad that I really needed to get it checked out. And it happens gradually enough that you don't necessarily realize how bad it might be.

But of course, there is always that moment. Mine was the other night where I was at Ellen's place and we brought up the cable on-screen TV guide and I could barely read it. It was pathetic, the squinting and leaning forward just so I could see that there was nothing I wanted to watch anyway. Ellen spotted this and handed me her glasses. Oh. My. God. It was like a flashback to the days when I didn't need to have someone standing within a few feet before I could recognize them. Everything was clearer than I even imagined they could be again. It was a little bit of a shock.

So I think I've already reached the point where I need to do something about it. Sad, but I need to accept that. The major problem I'm having with this is this: I didn't want to get glasses until I was 30. You see, I decided over a year ago that in order to deal with hitting the big 3-0, I would simply have a "theme" for my thirties that would make the whole thing more bearable. The one I have already settled on is "sophistication". In contrast to my "roaring twenties", my sophisticated thirties would involve less drunkeness in bars and more drunkeness at lovely dinner parties, to give you an example. And part of all that would be that I would get glasses that make me look mature, intelligent and sophisticated.

I think you see my problem -- if I get the glasses 3 years early, then I feel like I need to come up with a whole new theme for my thirties, and that's just a lot of brainstorming when I'd rather be drinking.

"But wait", you say. "Why not wear contacts until you're 30 and then make the switch to glasses?" Well folks, that is a lovely idea, believe me. But I am one of those people who can't even get eye drops in his eye because I flinch so much. Most of the eye drops end up on my neck or somewhere equally useless. And this is a genetic thing. My mother will practically faint if she even has to watch someone do anything with their contacts, and my brother spent hours at an optometrists office trying to get contacts in his eyes before they gave up and said he should just stick with the glasses.

So this is my dilemma. If you have any ideas, I am desperate for them right now. DESPERATE.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

LASIK THEM FOOOOOL!!! And then you can still wear pretend glasses at 30 to preserve your "sophisticated"
self.

Zander said...

I'm pretty sure you have to wear glasses for a few weeks before you get the surgery, so I'd have to get them anyway. But I will consider this option...thanks!

amy said...

I know this sounds silly but there are also "eye exercises" you can do to improve your eyesight. I've never tried it myself but my mom does them all the time and she says that’s why she's over 50 and only needs glasses to read. Something about glasses and contacts make your eyesight worse but the exercises actually make it better. I know sounds crazy but it can't hurt to try ;-)

Vicki said...

You could always go in and try to get contacts and when you can't get the sonofabitches in, bitch out the old hag who's "helping" you and say "Fuck this, you don't know how to explain this stupid shit right" and then storm out. Then you can come back the next day all sheepish and beg them to let you try again. Then miraculously you get them in and forget that ever happened until you write about it on someone's blog 8 years later. Piece of cake.

Cristin said...

I went through this exact issue about 6 months ago-- I'm supposed to wear glasses but I'm just too vain, so I tried to get contacts and cried through the whole thing. Get away from my eyes, muthafuckers! My new plan is to find some wicked sex-ay tina fey glasses and rock those, Hot For Teacher style.

emla said...

Guys, I've been wearing glasses since 2nd grade (I have nothing to live for past 29, I guess). It's not so bad. You could get ridiculous drunken party-style glasses (not sure what they'd be, but I'm thinking pink & sparkly) and then get sophisticated architech's glasses when you're 30.

Or, just go to the drugstore and pick up a pair of reading glasses and use them when you have to.

And, contacts really do take practice. I wear them every day, but I still have problems getting drops in my eye or not blinking during the glaucoma test.

Anonymous said...

must chime in that I too had this exact horrific experience about a year ago. i really didn't know how to hande it -i felt old and useless -i mean what is really left when you can't read street signs at night any more -u r just always lost or have to stay in at night with all the other old pple and watch the news.

it is dreadful

miznyc said...

dolly,

you are not geriatric because you have to wear glasses! but that was funny about just staying into watch the news.

glasses are awesome at any age! as long as you get the right kind for your face and age. otherwise you look dumb. choose wisely zander.

now to what emla said with the glaucoma test. I hear you there.

also, I have a really hard time holding it together when the doctor is up in my face shining the light in my eye. On more than one occasion I have busted out laughing in the eye doctor's face. I don't know why it gives me a case of the giggles.