Tuesday, August 08, 2006

More Retail Therapy

This past week has defintely been one of the more stressful one I've had in recent memory. I think I've hinted at this before, so I'm hoping I can give you the full update once I have things resolved before the end of this week.

Needless to say, I needed something to calm me down. And dropping my mp3 player on the street on Friday and having it stop working altogether was definitely not on the list of things that would have helped.

Now before I go any further, I should give you a little history on my mp3 player. See, I bought this thing when various companies were introducing their players. I insisted on being different, and outright REFUSED to get an iPod. Seeing everyone on the NYC subway with their little white headphones just irritated me for some reason, and while I am generally a mainstream sheep, I like to be just a little different at the same time. I think it helps feed my superiority complex. So I got a Dell DJ. It had better battery life, was a little more user friendly, and was the same size as an iPod at that time.

Of course this was back in 2003 or so, and I still had the same player until last week. Meanwhile, iPods have gotten tiny, and Dell discontinued their players because I was the only idiot who bought one. In the past year my Dell DJ has been described as "a brick", and worst of all I've had two people on separate occasions ask "Oh...does it play cassettes too?" Yeah, it was that bad.

I finally got over my anti-iPod stance this year, and for weeks have been saying I would buy a program off the web to transfer my songs OFF of my Dell DJ, so I could then buy a new iPod and put them on there. Of course Murphy's Law has kicked in, and now the damn thing is completely done. How many songs were on there? 1100. How many do I have between my work computer and my laptop at home? Oh about 32. Guess what I'm doing for the next month.

Anyway, I popped down to the Apple store yesterday and picked me up a shiny black video iPod. I still don't think it's as user-friendly as my Dell DJ, but it's credit card thin and people say "ooh" and "ahh" when they see it instead of offering me one of their parents old 8-track tapes, so I guess it all balances out. It also matches my new phone, making me feel oh-so-coordinated. And let's be honest, some of the songs on that old mp3 player really needed to be lost forever.



Okay, I better start hitting up Limewire for some of my old favourites and I can hear more than a few one-hit-wonders calling my name...

No comments: