Sunday, August 13, 2006

Liar, Liar

A few days ago was Census Night in Australia, which everyone got very worked up over. Every household had to fill out a form for each person spending the night there, with all of the basic information about each person.

It's been fun looking through everyone's forms before they send them in, because I'm a nosy jerk. However, I have to take issue with the religion question that people are so quick to answer. I don't know anyone here who has been to a church since I've been here in the last year. Most of us are such heathens that I'm pretty sure God would strike us down if we ever ventured near one of his holy houses. So to see that so many of my friends are suddenly claiming they are members of various churches that I've never heard of is rather upsetting.

I have enough of a problem with people who only go to church for Christmas and Easter and claim to be religious, but hell, at least they're putting in the effort to pretend. The most common answer I've heard is "well that's where I was christened". Uh yeah, sweetie -- I've been to Vatican City, doesn't make me the Pope. Gimme a break.

In the end I think I blame the Australian Census for making the question so vague. If they phrased it more like "Which organized religion are you an active member of?" then at least people would have to admit they were lying if they picked one. You'd think they would have learned their lesson after the last census where apparently so many Australians claimed they were "Jedi" that it almost had to be counted as an actual religion.

I thought about writing "Alcoholism" but I think have a few years to go before I can properly claim that honor.

No comments: