Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Only Half The Man I Used To Be

Why you ask? Because I only have half the god damn songs on my new iPod that I had on my old mp3 player, as I'm sure I've whined about already.

I've mostly given up on remembering the other 550 songs or so that apparently weren't important enough to me that I could recall what they were, but I thought it might be fun to share the first 10 songs that show up on my iPod in Shuffle mode, so you can at least imagine how awful the rest of my music collection must have been before it was forcefully purged from my life:


1. Notorious B.I.G. with Puff Daddy & Mase - Mo' Money, Mo' Problems

What can I say, I love hip hop and this song may not be that great, but it's a classic. And much less embarrassing than some of the other shit on here.

2. Ace of Base - All That She Wants

Speak of the devil. Yeah, remember those couple of years where Ace of Base and Spice Girls were topping the charts like crazy even though no one would admit to liking them? Sorry, mostly my fault.

3. Kelly Clarkson - Miss Independent

I actually didn't even have this on my previous mp3 player, but I acquired this the way I got a lot of the songs on the new iPod: I saw it show up unexpectedly in Limewire and thought "why the hell not?" For better or for worse...

4. Allure featuring 112 - All Cried Out

Does anyone even remember this remake? Can't remember if it was popular or not. But it IS a good illustration of how I'm one of those people who often prefers the remake to the original, thereby pissing true music lovers off.

5. Lil' Kim - Crush On You

No excuses or comments for this song, I just love it. What a ho.

6. Black Eyed Peas - My Humps

HA. It's retarded and more than a little annoying, so you know it was my anthem for a couple of months there. And for some reason every time I hear it I think of Emla shakin' her ass all over the place, and maybe Miss Jessica in the background throwing things at people. Yeah, for some reason it makes me miss my friends back in NYC. Must be the retarded and annoying theme.

7. Puff Daddy - It's All About The Benjamins

I'm officially a little upset that Puff Daddy/P. Diddy/Whatever has made 2 appearances and I'm only 7 songs in. I swear he's only on a few of these tracks...

8. Madonna - Burning Up

I won't lie and you can call me unoriginal, but I like a lot of Madonna's stuff, and this is probably in my top 3 for her most awesome songs.

9. Whitney Houston - So Emotional

Aww yeah we are going old school right now. Probably my favourite Whitney song, when I think about it. Which I don't do very often. Promise. HAAAAYYYYYY.

10. Starkillers - Discoteka (Kobbe & Austin Leeds Remix)

Now this is an example of the type of song that probably got lost in the transition to new iPod. Random dance track that I heard once and happened to download. (How could you not want a song where the main line is "I make the beat go boom, papi") Mostly appropriate for when you've already had a few drinks and you're about to leave for the bars, so why not throw on something vapid with a good beat.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Hmm, looking over the list it's definitely not pretty, and yet it could have been SO much worse, so I will count my blessings and end this list right here. Although I will give you guys just a little more ammo and mention that the next song to come on was "Get Over Yourself" by Eden's Crush, the "winner's" of Popstars in the US, and from which the lead singer of the Pussycat Dolls was also bestowed upon us.

And as I'm sure you've noticed, I am in the middle of a torrid love affair with Wikipedia. Seriously, I can't get enough of that site...

6 comments:

Ben said...

wait...you're saying these are 10 of the songs you kept? ouch.

At least you don't apologize for it. I'd lose all respect for you if that were the case.

emla said...

Honestly, knowing what you really listen to, this list isn't that bad. At least most readers recognize the artists' names.

Also, let me know if you're missing Aksent's "Kylie" (you better not be!) or any of the other crap -- I've got it all archived and can send it to you, already formatted. Kisses!

Zander said...

Ben, it's okay - one of my widely known qualities is my horrendous taste in music, and I am more than comfortable with that. I take comfort in the fact that I probably have a lot more fun listening to my music than the average person.

Emla - tragically I'm worried that it's all those random songs that are missing. Only yesterday did I remember to download "Satisfaction" by Benny Benassi and "Call On Me" by Eric Prydz. Have no fear though, Aksent was probably THE first track to be loaded onto the new iPod though. *Sigh of relief*

Vicki said...

I need Romanian pop singles. Stat.

Zander said...

HOLY CRAP I didn't download "Dragostea Din Tei" by O-Zone. I am clearly slacking...

emla said...

Whew, I am relieve to hear that! How else would you live? And, seriously, I can send you everything you ever sent me.