Thursday, March 22, 2007

Movin' On Up

So it's all decided. After a rather brief search, I've found the apartment I want and will be moving in on the 31st.

I had my huge shopping list of things I wanted in an apartment, and blogged about them a couple of weeks ago. In the end I got almost everything I wanted. A rundown of the new place:
  • Modern apartment on the 8th floor, with a nice balcony
  • Access to the balcony from my bedroom
  • Decent-sized bedroom with huge built-in closets
  • Huge mirrors on the closet doors (I love mirrors)
  • My own bathroom
  • Washer, dryer, and dishwasher in the apartment
  • Stainless steel appliances
  • Access to fitness complex across the street, with indoor lap pool, jacuzzi, gym, sauna, spa, etc.


For some reason the things I latched onto as must-haves were having my own bathroom (not that I think it makes such a big difference in the end) and an indoor lap pool. (I'm gonna try and get fit. Let's see how long that lasts.)

I was also influenced by the main entrance to the building, which are big glass doors that slide apart when you swipe your security card over the reader. Shit like this always works on me, because I'm a) lazy and b) easily impressed by shiny things.

And because I'm no longer in some uppity neighbourhood, this is all going to cost me just about the same as I pay now, possibly less. No complaints there.

The only area where I feel like I compromised is the location. Not that I should whine about a neighborhood that's only a 20 minute walk through Surry Hills to the bars I'm usually at or a 30 minute bus ride to work just like I have now. And I've decided that if I actually lived right by all my friends and the bars, I would probably cross over into full-blown alcoholic pretty shortly. As it is, I will be living near a couple of people I know who don't happen to be huge drinkers. Probably much healthier.

No comments: