Wednesday, March 22, 2006

I'm Totally A Scientist You Guys

As I've mentioned before, for me and the crew back in NYC, the drink of choice is grapefruit and vodka. The initial reason for this was that grapefruit juice, while not particularly pleasant on its own, was pretty decent with a splash (or 17) of some Stoli.

Of course the first time Emla and I actually partook in the "Grapefruit n' Goose", we finished an entire bottle of Goose and headed into the city. Neither of us remembered much from that night (that was actually the night I first met Madame Stickles, but to this day don't recall a thing about that), but we did get together the next day in Prospect Park to draft a letter of apology to New York City and its residents. Alas, the blog had not even been conceived at that point, so there's no record of what was probably the best letter ever written.

After that we kept drinking the grapefruit and vodkas, and were sure to initiate the rest of the group on them. Mostly by making sure that the only ingredients I had at my place for pre-gaming were grapefruit and vodka. Many a drunken night ensued, culminating in The Night Emla Ate 63rd Street, a night that will always be remembered and told as an example of what drunken twats we all are.

In the meantime, we figured that grapefruit juice had been the turning point of our lives (a turn for the self-destructive yet way more fun and good for telling stories, that is), and heard rumblings about it inhibiting the bodies ability to process alcohol or something, but we didn't heed the warnings. As Jordan even put it on his birthday (about a year ago today!), it's much like having sex with a prostitute that might have AIDS -- you don't really know what will happen, but you're definitely asking for trouble.


Well ladies and gentleman -- I officially pronounce my friends and I to be scientists, as there is an article in the NYTimes that Emla emailed out as "scientific proof that Goose 'n' Grapefruit juice is a recipe for AWESOME!"

Joe also found the best line in the article: "Fooling around with grapefruit juice is not a good idea."

This blog begs to differ with that particular statement, but no matter. What we should really be concerned about is the fact that we were essentially the leading edge of research on this phenomenon but we were clearly too drunk to realize it. Thank god we have records of it all. Why yes, Harvard, I will accept my honorary PhD now. Cheers!

1 comment:

Cristin said...

And there was that time when we were going to my apartment to drink and I "accidentally" referred to it as "gayfruit juice." Dr Freud, call your office!

Will totally make jordan have sex w. a prostitute who might have aids at his bday party friday.