Monday, January 24, 2011

Near Death Experience

I had another relatively quiet weekend, with the highlight being dinner with friends at a restaurant I hadn't been to in well over a year. Their food and cocktails are simply awe-inspiring, and as expected we had a fantastic evening.

At the end, as we were ordering dessert, I figured a round of Cafe Patron shots were in order, especially considering we had a few virgins at the table.

We downed the shots, and as I finished mine I felt what I assumed was ice against my lip. I looked into my shot glass and saw some very oddly shaped ice. I pulled it out, and it turned out it was a massive shard of glass from something other than my shot glass. Better yet, there was a smaller piece of glass underneath it.

I've never considered myself an overly dramatic person. (I'll give you a moment to stop laughing.) But this was pretty shocking. I just sort of stared at it, while we of course reported it to our waiter. And the more I thought about it, the more I realized how ridiculously horrible that whole situation could have ended up.

In any case, the staff were horrified and crazily apologetic, and I have abstained from spreading the name of the restaurant to everyone as I really don't think it's characteristic of their level of service. And hey, I'm still alive and unharmed.

Most importantly, the round of shots was free.

No comments: