Sunday, January 02, 2011

Why, Hello 2011, You Look Familiar

I went to great trouble to orchestrate a celebration for New Years Eve that would allow us to ring in 2011 with at least a little class and maturity.

Between the canapés I prepared myself (including stuffed mushrooms with feta, and shortbread tarts with lemon cream cheese filling), the avoidance of doing shots of any kind, and the fact that I intentionally kept numbers to less than 10 people, I was sure that we'd all toast to the New Year and everyone would head home shortly after midnight.

So let's look at the things that didn't factor into my vision of the evening, and yet managed to happen anyway:

1) Broken glass, everywhere - we're still not sure if it was a champagne or wine glass that broke first, or how exactly the bottles on the balcony got knocked over, but we can be sure that we will be picking tiny shards of glass out of our bare feet for the next few weeks, at least.

2) The police were called - not on us, but by someone at our party, to complain about the people across the street who were setting of fireworks. I believe the actual words we overheard were "they're shooting fireworks AT ME". In case we thought there was much left in the world that couldn't be taken completely and utterly personally.

3) People passed out - granted it tended to be in the form of disco naps on the couch, but considering how loud the music was and the fact that people were all around them having boisterous conversations at any given moment in time, I still find it impressive.

4) A bottle of vodka was dropped on my head - possibly my own fault for trying to get something out of the fridge while someone messed around with the bottle of vodka in the freezer above me. In the end I was more relieved about the fact that the bottle didn't break, and only as an afterthought considered that I should be grateful I didn't end up needing stitches.


So, yeah, come on in 2011. We've seen your kind here before, and we know how to handle you.

No comments: