Sunday, August 29, 2010

Worst. Book Club. Ever.

As some of you would know, I accepted an invitation to participate in a book club this year.

I've often thought that book clubs were the province of geeks and/or women, but as it turns out I've got more than enough of each in me to find book club somewhat appealing. It encourages me to read more regularly, often books that I'd never really consider otherwise, and talking about it (a.k.a. arguing) afterwards makes me feel like I'm a lot more intelligent than I actually am.

The issue with our book club (and most book clubs, I would imagine) is that we tend to be more focused on what food and drinks everyone is bringing along than the book in question. As a matter of fact, we have yet to hold a book club meeting where even half the members have finished reading the book (or even started it for that matter - one guy watched the movie the day we met), and we always end up awfully tipsy.

This time we actually even met on a Saturday - starting with wine and cheese at an apartment, and then heading to our dinner reservations at a trendy Japanese place nearby. One person hadn't finished the book, and another arrived at the party meeting with another 10 pages to go. And the girl who actually tried to talk about the book after the first 20 minutes was subsequently mocked for being a loser.

In other news, the soft shell crab was fantastic.

No comments: