Thursday, April 10, 2008

Didn't Think That Really Happened

I had a pretty crappy start to work yesteday. Came in, read some of the dumbest emails I've ever had, all from different people at the same client, and then dealt with them via the phone and in person, which left me ranting in the office and threatening to quit. Apparently it was just convincing enough that our PA went out and got me a cupcake to cheer me up, and then scheduled a meeting for me to talk to our firm partner, who I will be ranting at this afternoon. Can't wait.

But that didn't really compare to how I managed to finish off the day during a conference call with the same client. As with all conference calls I have in the office here, if someone is on the room with me, we tend to put the call on mute while we make smartass comments about what's going on, or just talk about something personal and completely unrelated. I'm sure you can see where this is going.

Someone had just started saying something shocking stupid, and I looked at my colleague and just said "Oh for fuck's sake." Imagine my unadulterated horror when I looked down at the phone and realized that she had UNmuted the phone moments before without me noticing. Since the client kept talking and didn't seem to acknowledge what had happened, we then had to mute the phone so that we could laugh hysterically for 5 minutes about what a dumbass I was.

It's the sort of thing that I thought only happened in sitcoms and it reminded me a little of a funny FedEx ad I saw recently, so I'm still a little in disbelief. In my favor, the client has yet to say anything about it, so either it's being ignored or it wasn't even heard on their end. Although a small part of me wishes it was...

No comments: