Thursday, May 26, 2011

Handy Man

I worked from home today in order to take care of a couple of things, including doing a self-installation of my upgraded cable box, and having a desk chair delivered and then assembling it.

This is a big deal, as anyone who knows me is familiar with the fact that I'm completely helpless when it comes to doing things around the house. When I was a kid I actually shorted out electricity for my entire building on the Upper East Side (apparently pulling a plug out by the cord isn't the way you're supposed to do it), and to this day I tend to call for maintenance for something as simple as a light bulb needing replacing.

In any case, the installation of the cable box wasn't nearly as awful as I thought it would be, despite involving far more cords than should be necessary in the 21st century. The chair, on the other hand, came with instructions that made IKEA's seem detailed and straight-forward. After struggling with what were only really three pieces for some 30 minutes, the chair is now as assembled as it's going to get, even if it wobbles at unfortunate angles.

So until that chair collapses in an embarrassing and painful fashion at some point, I'm feeling rather proud of myself with today's accomplishments. Now excuse me while I go have a beer and watch some sort of sporting event.

No comments: