Friday, July 23, 2010

I Has Ideas.

I recently read about a new dating website, Alikewise, that matches people to one another based on the books they like.

It's generally a clever idea, however I could never use it for myself. I tend to read books that are far more serious and intelligent than I am, and the site would probably match me with someone who thought I was a vapid, superficial drunk. And they wouldn't necessarily be wrong.

So that started me thinking about other ways you could match people. There's music, of course. But once again, wouldn't work for me, as I enjoy a lot of the music I listen to in an ironic way. Or at least that's what I tell myself in order to preserve at least some modicum of self-respect.

And there are always the few people who love movies. I'm not one of them, and given my tastes I imagine I would be matched with a rifle-toting vampire, or someone who thought they were a rifle-toting vampire. Either way, that's not good for much more than a terrible first date story.

The only thing that occurred to me that might actually work for someone like myself is matching people based on their drinking style. That way I'd be more likely to be paired with someone who enjoys sitting around in the afternoon sharing a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc, as opposed to someone who drinks cheap gin and starts fights with lamp posts (which I haven't done in years). I'd probably call it ThreeSheets.com or some other lame play on words that sounded much more romantic than a way for alcoholics to find someone out there to enable their bad habits.

Fortunately for any potential competitors out there, I'm usually too lazy/drunk/hungover to do anything entrepreneurial, so feel free to steal these brilliant ideas. Maybe I can at least use your website one day.

2 comments:

Vicki said...

I'm 100% behind this idea and love the name. Let me know when you're ready for me to build the website :)

Zander said...

Now I'm wondering if "Between Three Sheets" is better, cheesier, or just nonsensical.

We'll run it by a focus group.