Thursday, February 18, 2010

You've Changed

This week I'm reeling from the fact that NYC keeps daring to change in my absence. First was the news from J.Lee that she walked past Tribe the other day and it no longer exists. This should be upsetting for anyone who reads this blog on a regular basis, as a solid 50% of everything ridiculous that happened between 2002 and 2005 would have taken place in or near Tribe. Finidng out that my favorite bar in NYC is gone was a pretty crushing blow, I have to say. Where else will I go with friends on Sunday evenings to sit in a near empty bar with an awesome DJ and chat to the bartender in order to get free drinks all night? Recommendations are welcome.

The other is that Walgreen's has apparently bought Duane Reade, which is a pharmacy/chemist throughout NYC and no less than a New York institution. My only hope is that they at least don't change the name or the shockingly poor customer service that I've gotten so used to and strangely comfortable with over the last 30 years. I would actually miss walking up to the cashier with a ghetto hair sculpture and impractically long fake fingernails and saying "Excuse me, madame, I hate to interrupt this conversation about how your baby daddy is a whack ass nigga, but can I quickly purchase these q-tips?"

No comments: